Season 3: I’m Speaking • October 5, 2021
Economic Mobility, Innovation, and Women of Color in Tech.
Shana Cosgrove talks to Kendra Parlock, Executive Director at NPower Maryland in this episode of the Outspoken podcast.
In this episode of The Outspoken Podcast, host Shana Cosgrove talks to Kendra Parlock, Executive Director at NPower Maryland. Kendra talks about her early love of science and what growing up was like with both her parents being in the Marines. She also goes into the heart of NPower and the importance of bringing more women and women of color into the tech industry. Kendra discusses what it was like working in the mayor’s office and how her organization and detail orientation has allowed her to be successful in her career.
- “That’s how innovation happens. It’s not mysterious and magical. It’s committing to and identifying a problem, asking the right questions, collecting the right data, coming up with ideas, trying them out, collecting that information. That’s when the innovation happens.”– Kendra Parlock [15:55]
- “There was a lot to manage and that’s where my value came in. Like okay, I can make sense of this, and I kept all of that organized.”– Kendra Parlock [21:23]
- “People are drawn to people who present themselves well. And so, I was able to meet more people, collaborate more, make more connections because, you know, I looked the part.”– Kendra Parlock [46:34]
- [00:04] Intro
- [03:20] Meet Kendra Parlock
- [05:45] Schooling and Love of Science
- [07:03] Kendra’s Parents
- [07:45] College and Six Sigma Training
- [10:43] DuPont and TiO2
- [15:07] Organization, Detail Orientation, and Innovation
- [19:35] Starting at W. R. Grace & Co.
- [22:55] Executive MBA at Michigan State University
- [25:54] W. R. Grace & Co. to Mayor’s Office
- [29:32] Office Architecture, Community Data, and Working for the Mayor
- [34:20] NPower and Women in Tech
- [44:33] Kendra’s Style in Life and Business
- [46:48] Kendra’s Husband
- [50:02] Wrap-Up Questions
- [55:27] Outro
- Cabot Corporation
- W. R. Grace & Co.
- University of Florida
- Wright State University
- Michigan State University
- United Way of Central Maryland
- Bolton Hill Community Association
- Innovation Works
- The Daily Record
- University of Maryland BioPark
- Six Sigma
- Former President Donald J. Trump
- Freddie Gray
- CompTIA ITF+ Certification
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Baltimore Family Alliance
- Northrop Grumman
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Agatha Christie
- Baltimore Digital Equity Coalition
- Baltimore Digital Equity Coalition Community Tech Support Hotline
I’d love to hear from you — your feedback is important to me and I read all of it. If you enjoyed the podcast, I hope you’ll give us 5 stars. I’ll be sure to thank you via email. If not, let me know what you think we should do differently. Don’t forget to hit “subscribe” so you’ll receive notifications about guest interviews and other topics that drop every Tuesday.
Live well, Shana